Great Books SLPs will Love to Read: Leonardo the Terrible Monster
Are you looking for a great book for your classroom? Mo Willems writes amazing books, and Leonardo the Terrible Monster’ is no exception! On the surface, the story is about a monster who is different. He doesn’t do what is expected. Leonardo the Terrible Monster is a great book SLPs will love to read.
- Discuss what is expected of monsters (scaring people) and why Leonardo was different.
- What did Sam do when Leonardo tried to scare him?
- What did Leonardo think happened?
- Was his perspective correct?
- What did Sam say he was crying about?
Answering How & Why Questions
- Why was Tony scary?
- Why was Eleanor scary?
- Why was Hector scary?
- How did Leonardo try to scare Sam?
- Why did Leonardo think he succeeded in scaring Sam?
- How did Leonardo decide to change?
- Was this a change for the better or a change for the worse? Why?
- First, retell the story with a beginning, middle and end.
- Then, summarize a whole page of Sam’s complaints in one sentence.
Freebie Follow-Up Activity
Looking for a fun, no prep, no print follow-up activity?
Try this! Enjoy!